While being a bum is about being unemployed and doing nothing, it isn’t as bad as it actually is. That is, if you know the right things to do. Being a bum means having a lot of time in your hands, this is actually cool if used wisely. I have been a full time bum for 1 year and half now and although it’s a bit boring it can be really productive. Here’s how I’m filling my time.
- Well, because I’m spending time at home I get to spend a lot of time with my family. I get to help my siblings with their home works, do some major cleaning ventures, or do any stuff that needs help. It’s a big relief to everyone who’s busy dealing with daily grind.
- I travel a lot more than usual. Whether it’s just a trip down in the city or a trip somewhere little further, I always travel as much as I can. If someone says “I’ll be going to…..” it’s almost a reflex to answer with “Can I come?”
- I’m trying a lot of new things. I do everything that catch my attention; pinterest is a good start if you’re looking for projects that you might want to try. I’m slowly learning how to calligraphy, watercolor, bullet journal, and my new obsession graphic design.
- In line with exploring, I’ve also been learning a lot, whether it’s physically reading a book, watching documentaries/tutorials or just learning about life in general. I’ve read the most books during this phase of my life and I’m so loving it!
- I finally buckled down and crossed out one of my major goals. I finally made this blog, one that’s in life. It has been a long goal to make a personal and updated blog but with the absence of internet at home it was challenging back then.
- I eat a lot. Whether it’s cooking a full meal for everyone or making simple sweets or pancakes. In one way or another I’d always find a way to fill my cravings. Also, I always make sure to visit the new cafés to try out new food.
- Ironically, I also got a lot of exercise this time. It’s because eating and sleeping is a sure formula to become obese in no time, I try to exercise more. My motivation is: I DON’T WANT TO LIMIT HOW MUCH I EAT SO I GET BACK IN SWEATING.
- I’m also learning to technically take care of myself by being mindful, meditating, and assessing how I feel and doing the things that’s good for me. It also helps in teaching one’s self to be better in control.
- I also tried volunteering. I taught elementary children from our local school and it’s totally a refreshing change for me. At the same time you are able to help others!
- Collect ID’s. That sounds a little funny but it’s true. Growing older means going out behind your student ID and getting more involved, with commitment and responsibilities to the community.
- I learned how to drive and got my license.
- Of course, I cannot forget about the adulting responsibilities; making resumes and applying for a job or any opportunities that may come my way. Going to job interviews helped me calm down my fear of interviews.
- Meeting a lot of people. Because I have been literally been going here and there, I have been meeting a lot of new people. It can be new friends or just strangers; it can be really amusing to meet different people of different ideas and in different walks of life.
- I did a lot of first’s. Going on a trip alone, getting a license, going to meetings, going to the bank. All of it I had to do alone. As someone who gets scared of even ordering alone, doing stuff alone is a huge achievement and even helps me overcome my fear.
Life after school is generally about growing and dragging yourself outside the comfort zone. It is pretty tough and hella awkward but that’s the only way. What I do is, to collect every courage that I have in my bones, fake a confidence and just do it.
Basically, I am just indulging myself to everything that I love or would love doing. Back when I was in school, I didn’t have enough time to chill and now is the time to spoil myself and do the heck that I want to do. To be honest, I’m actually learning a lot more than when I was in school like how to go to market, how to deal with different situations, basically everything that is necessary in real world.